Stalag IIA was a Second World War German prisoner-of-war camp located in Fünfeichen, a former estate within the city limits of Neubrandenburg, Mecklenburg, northern Germany. Built as Stalag IIA Neubrandenburg in 1939, it was extended by the officer camp Oflag IIE in 1940 (renamed Oflag-67, 1944). After the Soviet takeover in 1945 until 1949 it was used as special camp,
NKVD-camp Nr. 9 of the Soviet secret service (NKVD). Today, the site of the camp is a memorial.
The camp was built in September 1939 to house Polish prisoners from the German September 1939 offensive. The first POWs arrived on 12 September. Some were used for completing the camp construction while housed in tents during the winter. Others were sent to work on farms. From May/June 1940 Dutch and Belgian prisoners arrived from the Battle of France, followed by
French. A number of the French were from African colonial regiments and were used for the worst work such as collecting rubbish
A new camp for officers, Oflag IIE was created close by and Polish warrant officers and ensigns were transferred to it. In 1941 more prisoners arrived from the Balkans Campaign mostly British and Yugoslavians (mostly Serbs). In late summer 1941 Soviet prisoners from Operation Barbarossa arrived and were placed in a separate enclosure built south of the main camp.
In September 1943 some Italian internees were transferred to Stalag IIA from Italy after the capitulation. From November 1944 to early January 1945 American soldiers captured in various operations during the Allied drive eastward arrived. Most were immediately sent to Arbeitskommandos. From February to April 1945 Neubrandenburg was a waypoint in the forced march
westward of Allied prisoners from POW camps further east. The camp was finally liberated on 28 April 1945 when a Soviet armoured division reached Neubrandenburg.
In the middle of April most of the prisoners in the camp and in the outlying Arbeitskommandos were marched westward ahead of the advancing Red Army. Within a few days they were liberated by British troops pushing eastward.
The official prisoner census of 1 December 1944 records:
From a total of 25,720 including 21 officers, only about 3,500 were in the camp itself, the rest were in outlying sub-camps.
Stalag IIA had about 50 sub-camps, known as Arbeitskommando. The largest was Teterow, several miles west of Neubrandenburg, which held about 175 prisoners living in a multi-storey brick building. They worked on the railway
lines. Another was at Parchim.
Polish prisoners from the German September 1939 offensive were
placed in Stalag IIA. After some time the officers were separated and placed
initially in the garages of the adjoining German Army armoured division. Then a
separate camp, Oflag IIE, was built for them on the west side of the main